Bali’s coasts and highlands have many ancient temples built on them. The magnificent architecture has made some of the temples to become iconic landmarks. In these temples you will find ornate decorations, festivals and live processions taking place on the various temple or religious anniversaries. Here are some of the famous temples in Bali that you want to visit.
Temples in Bali:
- Tanah Lot – Located in Tabanan, West Bali, this famous temple is a must-see. It is built on an outcropping of rock out in the ocean. The sunset backdrops and this unique setting offshore are the main reasons why people go out there to see it. If you are in Kuta, it is a short forty five minute drive away. Onshore, you will get to enjoy shops, restaurants and even a cultural park where you will be entertained with dance performances.
- Uluwatu Temple – This temple is located in Uluwatu, Jimbaran. This area is known to be a great surfing spot and the temple is located up on a cliff some seventy meters above the ocean. The locals call it Pura Luhur and it is one of the best places to catch brilliant sunsets. Enjoy a taste of Balinese culture with cultural performances that include the Kecak dance or Ramayana ballet. Close by is a monkey forest that is quite dense where you can see long-tailed grew macaques.
- Goa Gajah – The name of this temple translates to ‘Elephant Cave’. Located in Ubud, Central Bali, you will be surprised to find no elephants here. This is a complex that carried great historical significance. Initially, this temple was built as a place to go and meditate in the 11th The complex includes a cave meeting hall, stone relics and temple courtyard. In 1954, a bathing pool was excavated here as well.
- Ulun Danu Beratan Temple – If you go west on Beratan Lake, you will come across this iconic landmark. Located in Bedugul, Tabanan, this temple has striking scenery, a dreamy backdrop, and a cool atmosphere. The temple complex includes a variety of shrines and lakeside gardens. You can also enjoy paddleboat rides on the lake as well as water sports.
- Besakih Temple – This temple is located in Karangasem, East Bali. It is a grand complex that houses many different clan shrines and temples. In fact, it is called the Mother Temple of Bali because it is the holiest and the largest temple on the island. Each year, about seventy celebrations are held in this temple since each shrine tends to have an anniversary. You will need an entire day to do this temple justice.
There are so many temples in Bali, so much more than you can imagine. Some of them are more famous than the others, some of them are isolated from the tourists. Handara Golf and Resort is located near to Ulun Danu Beratan Temple, which makes it easily accessible for you.